Dear everyone who has told me to read Divergent: you were right and I’m sorry for ignoring you.
This book is FANTASTIC. So well written, tons of action in the plot, but what I love most about this book is the characterization. I feel so much for these characters: love, hate, fear, disappointment, forgiveness.
1. I love Tris and Tobias SO VERY MUCH. They are so good together, and honest to goodness, I never want them to be apart from one another. The way they protect each other, encourage each other…how from the very beginning they’re drawn to one another because they’re so alike. Tobias’ subtle touches, advice, and concern for Tris throughout the story…*sigh*swoon* Their first kiss in the chasm…subsequent kisses…their declarations of love. LOVE IT!
2. Tris’ parents. UGH, Tris’ Mom continuously blows my mind throughout this story. And, in my opinion, these two are shining examples of how selflessness and bravery go hand in hand. And, initially I’m not angry about Caleb’s decision to transfer to Erudite, but when Tris goes to visit him, and it seems like he believes Erudite’s reports of Abnegation…it makes me mad! However, I have definitely forgiven Caleb. I’m eager to see the role he plays in the next book.
3. So Erudite has basically destroys Abnegation and Dauntless…what now? Who’s next? Will they go after Amity and Candor? I read something interesting last night on Veronica Roth’s blog, about how Candor is more about being impartial and how that helped her flush out Candor in the second book. Is it possible that Candor will try to remain neutral and not help Tris against Erudite? Will Amity be willing to go to war in order to attain peace? Will the Dauntless and Abnegation refugees fight? Will the other Divergent stop hiding and fight?
I also think its interesting how the Erudite turn out to be power hungry…I wonder why and how Roth comes to that decision. What does that say about those who seek knowledge?
4. Marcus and Peter need to go ASAP!
5. Pg. 128 “Why would they lock the gate from the outside and not the inside? It almost seems like they don’t want to keep something out; they want to keep us in. ” I’ve been wondering this all along, what is outside the gates? What’s happening in the rest of the U.S.?
I can’t wait for Insurgent!
This is absolutely a MUSTREAD!