Get ready for FLAME CON, NYC’s FIRST queer-focused comic convention hitting NYC right before NYC Pride in June 2015.
I love comic conventions and when I heard through the rumor mill that New York would have its first queer-focused comic convention I had ALL THE FEELS! Flame Con will take over the Grand Prospect Hall in Brooklyn on Saturday, June 13, 2015. So whether you intend to cosplay, get your geek on, and/or just have fun, be prepared for one of the most spectacular geek-related LGBTQ event that NYC has ever seen!
Originally crowd-funded on Kickstarter, Flame Con has also received support from organizations including Northwest Press, the premier publisher of LGBT graphic novels and comics, and the new Broadway musical Fun Home, which just received 12 Tony nominations, including Best Musical. GaymerX, the annual gaming convention focusing on queer culture, is also partnering with Flame Con, to host a Gaming Hall full of games and apps for attendees to play and demo. (via Geeks OUT)
Right before NYC Pride, Flame Con will bring all fandoms together! If you like art, comics/graphic novels, fantasy, horror, LARPing, table-top, sci-fi, and/or video games, Flame Con is the place to be, with panels/presentations and speakers for all ages and interests. In a press release from Geeks OUT it stated that, “Flame Con will be held at the Grand Prospect Hall in Brooklyn on Saturday, June 13, 2015, for a full day of exhibitors, performances, costumes, forums, and art, all with a queer-friendly bent. Creators and celebrities from all corners of the LGBTQ fandom are in the lineup:
– Kris Anka, Marvel Comics costume designer, and artist for titles including X-Men, Wolverines, and Ms Marvel
– Cecil Baldwin and Dylan Marron, voice actors for the hit podcast, Welcome to Night Vale
– Sarah Donner, indie folkpop singer, songwriter, and musical collaborator on The Oatmeal
– Suzana Harcum and Owen White, creators of the charming and romantic webcomic, Tripping Over You
– Phil Jimenez, superstar comic artist for titles including Wonder Woman, X-Men, Teen Titans, and Otherworld
– Daniel Ketchum, longtime editor at Marvel Comics for titles including Uncanny Avengers, Magneto, and the upcoming A-Force
– David Leviathan, award-winning YA author of novels including Boy Meets Boy, and Nick And Norah’s Infinite Playlist (with Rachel Cohn, and now a major motion picture.)
– Steve Orlando, writer of Midnighter, DC Comics’ first gay superhero with an ongoing solo title
– Jill Pantozzi, editor-in-chief of The Mary Sue
– Mark Patton, the first male Scream Queen, and star of A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy’s Revenge
– Cristy Road, artist, writer, musician, and creator of Bad Habits and Spit and Passion
– James Tynion IV, writer on Batman Eternal for DC Comics, plus several other series including the GLAAD Award-nominated Memetic
– Kevin Wada, geek fashion superstar and She Hulk cover artist
– Max Wittert, illustrator and creator of the Jean & Scott webcomic featured in All-New X-Men
– Jennie Wood, creator of Flutter and writer of A Boy Like Me
A full exhibition hall will feature dozens of creators, showcasing scores of queer-friendly titles, geeky toys, clothing and jewelry.”
Tickets are available NOW: https://flamecon.ticketbud.com/flamecon and range from $10 to $25. I suggest you pick yours up today. Stay tuned to We So Nerdy as we will provide you more information about Flame Con, but make sure to hope over to the website TODAY to get more information about the celebrities, creators, and presenters and go get your TICKETS!
ABOUT GEEKS OUT:
Geeks OUT is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to rallying, empowering, and promoting the queer geek community. Formed in 2010, Geeks OUT has brought a positive queer presence to several large comic conventions and hosted a wide variety of community events in the NYC area and across the USA. Geeks OUT events have included art shows, geeky self-defense classes, movie screenings, bar crawls, and a global awareness campaign against the Ender’s Game movie franchise.
[Featured Image SOURCE]