STARZ announces the casting of Scottish actor Richard Rankin in the fan favorite role of Roger Wakefield in Season Two of Outlander.
Sassenachs, we’ve been waiting for this bit of casting news for awhile now, and today we’ve got it! STARZ just announced that Scottish actor Richard Rankin has been cast in the fan favorite role of Roger Wakefield in Outlander‘s upcoming second season!
Fans of the series will recall that Roger in Season 2 (and beyond) is the grown up version of Reverend Wakefield’s adopted son (who we meet in Season 1). After his parents pass away in World War II, Roger is raised by the Reverend and is a proud Scot through and through. Roger, now a professor at Oxford University, has a keen interest in history and all the secrets and insight it presents.
Roger is described as intelligent, kindhearted, and charming—all true things! And we know that he will be an incredibly important person in Jamie and Claire’s lives…
Actor Richard Rankin is a familiar face, recently starring opposite Bradley Cooper, Uma Thurman, and Sienna Miller in Burnt. Most recently Rankin appeared in the BBC One hit drama From Darkness with Anne-Marie Duff, and he will next be seen playing a detective in Thirteen, a new BBC original drama TV miniseries.
Welcome to Team Outlander Richard!
Awesome #OutlanderOfferings are AWESOME!
Once again, I don’t mean to be greedy…but does this mean casting news about Brianna might be around the corner too? *EXCITE*
What do you think of the news? Share your thoughts in comments and make sure to stay tuned to We So Nerdy for all your Outlander news!
In case you haven’t been keeping track with the 25 Days of #OutlanderOfferings, I’ve listed the items we’ve had so far with links below:
- December 1: Outlander Season 2 Teaser Trailer
- December 2: Contest to win a set of Outlander Funko Pops
- December 3: #PeekAtParis with at look at a Parisian household
- December 4: #PeekAtParis with Claire/Cait and Jamie/Sam
- December 5: Contest to win signed Outlander Season 1 posters
- December 6: #PeekAtParis with a look at haute couture fashions
- December 7: #PeekAtParis with Claire/Cait
- December 8: @OutlanderKitchn’s Chewy Molasses Cookie recipe
- December 9: Outlander ornament special gift
- December 10: Caitriona Balfe Answers Fan Questions
- December 11: Contest to win Outlander standee
- December 12: Stephen Walters and Grant O’Rourke play “Would You Rather”
- December 13: Contest to win Outlander Season 1B soundtrack
Season Two of OUTLANDER begins as Claire and Jamie arrive in France, hell-bent on infiltrating the Jacobite rebellion led by Prince Charles Stuart, and stopping the battle of Culloden. With the help of his cousin Jared, a local wine merchant, Jamie and Claire are thrown into the lavish world of French society, where intrigue and parties are abundant, but political gain proves far less fruitful. Altering the course of history presents challenges that begin to weigh on the very fabric of their relationship. However, armed with the knowledge of what lies ahead, Claire and Jamie must race to prevent a doomed Highland uprising, and the extinction of Scottish life as they know it.
Season Two is currently filming on location in Scotland and will return Spring, 2016.