Downton Abbey returns to the U.S. tonight for its final season! Get a sneak peek of the Season 6 premiere, airing at 9:00pm ET|PT on PBS Masterpiece.
My friends, it’s truly the beginning of the end. Today, Downton Abbey‘s final season premieres in the U.S. on PBS Masterpiece, and from all accounts from our UK friends, these episodes embody all the things we’ve come to adore (and maybe fear) about the series: romance, family drama, politics and history, misfortune, and also lots of love.
If you’ll recall, the Downton Abbey Season 5 Christmas Special wasn’t as heartbreaking as we’d experienced in previous years (after all, Matthew died in that horrific car accident at the end of the Season 3 Christmas Special).
By the end of 1924:
- Lady Rose and Atticus Aldridge are married, and after honeymooning in Venice, invite the Crawleys to join Lord and Lady Sinderby at Brancaster Castle in Northumberland for grouse season, right before the Christmas holiday. Rose and Atticus will also be moving to New York in the new year for Atticus’ new job.
- Lady Mary turns down a marriage proposal from Lord Gillingham (after a scandalous weekend together); however, there is a potential new love interest in Henry Talbot, the nephew of Lady Shackleton (a close friend of the Dowager Countess), who she meets while at Brancaster.
- Lady Edith is finally able to raise Marigold at Downton and serves as the managing editor of Michael Gregson’s magazine/publishing company in London. Edith might also have a new love interest in Mr. Charlie Pelham, the land agent of Brancaster.
- Branson and Sibby plan to move to Boston after the holidays.
- Bates and Anna are finally free from the shadow of Mr. Green’s murder (Anna is freed from prison when Bates confesses to the murder; however, Baxter and Molesley are able to prove Bates wasn’t in London when Green if killed).
- Lady Violet and Isobel both have dalliances (with Prince Kuragin and Lord Merton, respectively); however due to complications, both relationships come to an end (Kuragin is reunited with his wife against his preferences, and Merton’s sons convince Isobel that marrying their father would split the family).
- Mr. Carson and Mrs. Hughes are engaged (*EXCITE*).
Tonight’s premiere episode (written by Julian Fellowes and directed by Minkie Spiro) picks up in 1925. Check out the offical synopsis below:
Extortion and downsizing threaten Downton Abbey. Change is afoot at the hospital. Mrs. Hughes poses a delicate question. Daisy speaks her mind, and Anna and Bates wait for the word. (via PBS Masterpiece)
Lady Mary’s past catches up with her when an unwelcome visitor delivers an ultimatum, and news about the running of Downton Hospital puts Violet on the warpath. (via IMDB)
Thanks to PBS Masterpiece, we have a sneak peek of Episode One’s opening scene, where Lord Grantham and Lady Mary are preparing to go out with a hunting party:
Goodness, the grandeur of the Downton way of life still wows me!
And who is that lady giving Mary the evil-eye…? I’m already getting nervous!
The new Downton Abbey airs on PBS tonight at 9:00pm ET|PT, and I’ll be live tweeting (@WeSoNerdy) during the East Coast showing, so please join me!
In the mean time, check out 15+ images from the upcoming show and tell us (in comments below) what you’re most looking forward to in Downton‘s final season!