Game of Thrones‘ sixth season premieres on April 24! Catch up on the teasers HBO has released so far, including episode photo stills and new character posters.
Both within and outside of Westeros, the Game of Thrones Season 5 finale left us with serious questions about the well-being of our favorite characters:
- Is Jon Snow really, REALLY dead (betrayed by the Night’s Watch and his steward, young Olly)?
- In Winterfell, as Stannis leads his ill-fated attack, Sansa and Theon make their escape—do they survive the flying leap from the castle? Is Sansa able to link up with Brienne and Podrick?
- Is Arya 100% blind (punishment for abandoning her duty to the House of Black and White and killing Ser Meryn in revenge)?
- Now that Myrcella is dead (poisoned by Ellaria with a kiss), what does this mean for relations between King’s Landing and Dorne (don’t forget that Trystane travels back to Westeros with Jamie!)?
- After Cersei survives her walk of shame, shame, shame, it’s clear that she means to make High Sparrow pay. How will she go about executing her vengeance?
- Drogon saves Dany from an attack by the Sons of the Harpy in the most epic way; then mother and son fly off into the wind. Once they land, Dany is reunited with the Dothraki. Will they recognize their Khaleesi?
SO MANY QUESTIONS!
Well, last month, HBO released some photo stills from the upcoming sixth season, which gives us some insight into some of these very important answers.
We see that Sansa and Theon do survive and might even make their way to the Iron Islands. In Winterfell, Roose and Ramsay Bolton recoup after Stannis’ attack, and I doubt they’ll react well to Sansa’s disappearance!
Jamie, Cersei, and Tommen will also mourn Myrcella’s death, while High Sparrow and his followers continue to keep Margaery under arrest.
Arya is blind; Bran is all grown up and working with the Three-Eyed Raven; and Tyrion and Varys reunite while the await Dany’s return.
Check out the 21 images below (courtesy of Helen Sloan, Macall B. Polay, HBO)!
HBO also released a new teaser that takes us through the House of Black and White’s Face Room. At first, one wouldn’t think too much of this (since we’ve already seen the room full of the skin of the dead used by Faceless Men to create their disguises); however, some very familiar faces (both dead AND living) appear, including: Jon, Robb, Joffrey, Dany, Tyrion, and more:
— Game Of Thrones (@GameOfThrones) February 15, 2016
In a similar theme, HBO also shared these 16 new Season 6 character posters:
How ominous! It shouldn’t surprise us that we might be losing some of our favorite characters. But what’s interesting is that we’ll likley be getting several Game of Thrones flashbacks to the past AND flashforwards into the future. According to a recent Vanity Fair article:
…Jon’s isn’t the only ghost haunting Season 6. Some casting news, set reports, and official photos make it clear that visions and flashbacks will be keeping the dead Starks very much alive this year. That’s why, for example, Isaac Hempstead-Wright’s Bran is seen standing in the courtyard of what looks like Winterfell in this official Season 6 image. Under the tutelage of Max Von Sydow’s Three-Eyed Raven, Bran will be able to project (on his own two feet!) into the events of his family’s past—and possible future. So look for the legacy of Ned Stark too loom large this year…
I love the Starks and want nothing more than for the remaining children to be reunited and start plotting their revenge! Time will tell… Game of Thrones Season 6 premieres Sunday, April 24 at 9:00pm ET|PT on HBO.
Today marks 50 days before the premiere, and HBO is celebrating with #GoT50 fandom re-watch of all 50 episodes of the show! Fans can watch along using the HBO NOW, and live tweet with @Daenerys, @NiceQueenCersei, @GoT_Tyrion, and @LordSnow, who are each tweeting during Game of Thrones‘ five seasons.
What do you think about these teasers? What are you most looking forward to in the upcoming episodes? Share your thoughts in comments!
[Featured Image Source: Game of Thrones Facebook]