Bassam and Daliyah continue their romantic relationship; Ihab Rashid brings his reign of terror back to Abuddin. Get a sneak peek of tonight’s Tyrant (“Truth and Dignity”).
OK, I’m going to being this conversation where last week’s episode (“A Rock and a Hard Place“) ended: Bassaliyah happened!
I’m still in shock… I’ve been not so secretly shipping Bassam and Daliyah ever since he risked everything to save her from captivity with the Caliphate. Like Bassam describes to Sammy, he shares a very special relationship with Daliyah… they saved each other’s lives. That means something.
But beyond that care and respect, there has been an undercurrent of romantic attraction. But Bassaliyah couldn’t happen right? He’s happily married… right?!
Well, as soon as Molly removes herself from the picture (leaving for Germany to seek treatment for her grief/suicidal tendencies), perhaps this is the signal we needed.
With that said, Daliyah seems to have been pursuing a relationship with Fauzi. She goes to see his speech (after some positive news that he’s the leading candidate for President in the new polls). He tells her that he’s been dreaming about her (roller skating and Angela Merkel make a cameo too, LOL).
But nope! When Daliyah goes to the palace to comfort Bassam, who, admittedly, has been having a terrible few weeks, one thing leads to another…
Bassaliyah sexy times happen, it’s HOTTTTTT, and when they finish…. ? Bassam rolls over and goes to sleep, but Daliyah has a very interesting look on her face. She’s clearly emotional: there are tears, but a smile too.
I mean, it’s understandable. This is the first time Daliyah has sex since Ahmos’ death, right? Plus, she really cares about Bassam.
But what’s next?
Molly is eventually going to come back, right?
And I can’t help thinking about Leila’s warning to Daliyah: Be careful if you’re in love with him. You’ll think the connection you have is real. And who’s to say? Maybe it is. But Bassam compartmentalizes. The minute you become a liability, a wall will come down. And you’ll be cut off. Like it never happened. Like it was nothing.
This scares me, A LOT.
So, on Bassam’s road to becoming a tyrant, he seems to be ticking a lot of triggers off the list:
1. Daughter killed by The Caliphate.
2. Wife leaves country on self-imposed exile.
3. Cracking down on civil liberties via the military.
4. Hooking up with a sidepiece.
Some other moments that stand out:
- I love Sammy and I want him to freely live his life as a gay man, but I’m so glad Halima tells him about himself! Dr. El-Amin is married… plus, because of who his is, Sammy is under a microscope. Unfortunately, Abuddin is an intolerant society, as wll. I just need Sammy to be so careful!
- In Leila vs. Daliyah, round 1, I’ll have to save Daliyah wins. Daliyah is determined that Leila testify for the Truth and Dignity Commission, and Leila believes she’s above such things. When she asks Daliyah how it’s possible a Bedouin woman with no education has risen to such heights, Daliyah replies: “That’s a strange accusation coming from the daughter of a kitchen maid.” SO.MUCH.SHADE.
- Sheik Al-Qadi needs to watch out. He might be preaching restraint and peace, but Nafisa (his wife) and her brother are not willing to abide any compromise with the Al-Fayeeds. Al-Qadi might get thrown under the bus real quick.
- Leila and Cogswell love each other… seems legit, but I’m thinking Leila has a bigger plan, like having her new boo sabotage an election for her. Js.
In tonight’s episode “Truth and Dignity” (written by Amy Louise Johnson and Kelly Wiles, directed by Charlotte Brandström), danger continues to escalate:
Daliyah is put in danger due to Barry’s policies; Al-Qadi tries a risky plan to bring peace; Daliyah feels conflicted after Fauzi puts his feelings on the line; Barry cracks down on the political process as elections get out of control; and Leila is at odds with her sister over her relationship with Cogswell. (via TV Guide)
The trailer shows us that Bassam and Daliyah continue their relationship, in secret. And, as expected, Ihab Rashid continues his reign of terror, this time with Daliyah as a potential casualty:
You know Bassam is about to go crazy to save Daliyah… as I said, #TheMakingOfATyrant.
Take a look at 9 photo stills from the “Truth and Dignity” and make sure to come live tweet Tyrant with us (@WeSoNerdy) at 10:00pm ET|PT on FX!